Residential Living Guide

At Gilgandra Lifestyles we understand that looking for aged care services can be very stressful. Our goal is to make the process as stress-free as possible through making sure all the information is at your fingertips and easy to understand. Below is our guide that will help you in the process of accessing aged care, summarised into 5 simple steps:

aged care steps.png

Assessing Eligibility

If you are considering moving into an aged care home, you will first need an assessment with a member of an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). This is a free process to determine eligibility for Australian Government subsidised aged care services. Phone 1800 200 422 to have your ACAT organised. 


Finding an Aged Care Home

The best way to find a place that suits you is to visit. You are more than welcome to visit any of our Aged Care services, just give us a call. Alternatively, My Aged Care has a comprehensive list of aged care homes and providers. 

Fees & Charges

The Australian Government pays for the bulk of aged care in Australia. However, it is expected you will contribute to the cost of your care if you can afford to do so. You will never be denied the care you need because you can’t afford it. When moving into an aged care home you may be asked to pay towards your care, accommodation and daily living costs through 4 separate fees;

A basic daily fee - This covers living costs such as meals, power and laundry. For some people this is the only fee they are required to pay.

A means-tested care fee - The Department of Human Services (Centrelink) or Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) will work out if you are required to pay this fee based on an assessment of your income and assets, and will advise you of the amount.

An accommodation payment - Some people will have their accommodation costs met in full or part by the Australian Government, while others will need to pay the accommodation price agreed with the aged care home. Centrelink will advise you which applies to you based on an assessment of your income and assets.

Fees for extra or additional optional services - Additional fees may apply if you choose a higher standard of accommodation or additional services. Your aged care provider can provide you with details of these services and the fees that apply.

You can call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to help you estimate the fees and charges you may have to pay towards your residential aged care.

You can connect direct to the fees and charges for Cooee Lodge Hostel and Jack Towney Hostel, or Contact Us for more information.


You can register your interest here.

You do not need to provide any financial information on your application, however, to apply to have your fees and charges subsidised by the Australian Government you will need to fill out the Permanent Residential Aged Care - Request for a Combined Assets and Income Assessment form (SA457) and submit it to Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (if you are receiving an income support payment). You should apply for your income or asset assessment as soon as possible as this will help ensure more timely access to entering residential aged care.


Moving and Living

At Gilgandra Lifestyles we do everything we can to ensure the transition to aged care living is as easy and stress-free as possible. Upon entering our homes you will be required to enter into a residential tenancy agreement. After this agreement is signed we will do everything we can to assist you with moving and settling in.


You can read the full Australian Government's full 5 steps into entry into an aged care home here.